This is the second in a series of articles titled ‘Minimum Commute, Maximum Lifestyle’ and will be focused on International Business Machines Corp.(NYSE:IBM). This series focuses on area employers and rental options located nearby so employees can reduce their commutes to work.
Thousands of people move to Austin or relocate within Austin every year because of job changes. In a city growing by 110 people per day, the complaint we hear most often centers around traffic. The majority of the renters we see are hoping to find an apartment that fits their lifestyle and allows for a reasonable commute to their place of work. With that in mind, we wanted to give some insight into Austin’s largest employers and the rental options that surround them.
IBM manufactures and markets computer hardware and software as well as offering infrastructure, hosting, and consulting services. Founded in 1911, the company has its headquarters in Armonk, New York, and employs 435,000 employees around the globe, about 100,000 in the United States and over 6,000 in Austin. The Wall Street Journal reports that the $2.3 billion sale of IBM's computer-servers business to Lenovo, a Chinese company, is on hold pending U.S. government concerns about possible security problems with IBM's x86 servers, which are used by the U.S. Government in their communications networks and in data centers that support the Pentagon's computer networks. IBM is publicly traded on the NYSE under the symbol IBM.
IBM employs people in a variety of positions at its Austin offices, including Software Developer (median salary $56,465 for a Software Developer I), Software Engineer (median salary $58,658 for a Software Engineer I), Product Manager (median salary $88,730 for a Product/Brand Manager), Java Developer II ($80,893 for a Java Developer), IT Specialist ($82,173 for an IT Project Coordinator), and Security Analysts (median salary $77,774 for a Systems/Application Security Analyst). All salary figures from Salary.com for 78758, IBM’s zip code.
The Domain, an upscale outdoor shopping mall, is adjacent to IBM and provides employees with many options for dining and shopping. For lunch, The Steeping Room has vegan, gluten-free, and traditional options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Tacodeli is nearby on Burnet Road and is a popular breakfast and lunch destination for their unique, delicious tacos and salsas made in-house.
IBM employees looking for a place to have happy hour with coworkers have many choices, including Cru Food and Wine Bar, which has daily specials like free pizza with the purchase of a bottle of wine on Mondays and a small plate happy hour featuring $3 off glasses or wine flights nightly. McCormick & Schmick's has an incredible happy hour menu, including $6 cocktails and a cheeseburger and fries for just $3.99.
Live in one of the gorgeous apartment communities near IBM and avoid traffic.
- Mesa Verde Apartments are just half a mile from IBM via Burnet Road. Built in 1994, 1-2 bedroom apartments are available and range from 658 to 1,222 square feet. Apartments feature spacious layouts, full size washer and dryer connections, double pane windows, and 9' ceilings with crown molding. This gated community has an indoor racquetball court, enclosed off-leash dog park, and two Sand Volleyball Courts.
- The Barrington at Park Place Apartments were built in 1985 and are also half a mile from IBM via Burnet Road. Efficiency to two bedroom apartments ranging in size from 375 to 946 square feet are available. Units feature granite countertops, brand new cabinetry, wood plank flooring, washers and dryers, and patios or balconies. The complex has a heated spa, swimming pool, and is surrounded by a 7 mile hike and bike trail.
- Verano Luxury Apartment Homes are less than half a mile from IBM and within walking distance via Burnet Road. Built in 1995, apartments from 1 bedroom to 3 bedrooms and 642 to 1011 square feet are available. Apartments feature alarm systems, washer/dryer connections, ceiling fans and balconies. This gated community provides easy access to public transportation, has a business center, night patrols, and on-site maintenance.
- Villages at the Domain are 3 minutes away in the heart of the Domain and were built in 2009. Apartments range from 507 square feet for a one bedroom to 1,618 square feet for a 3 bedroom and feature plank or hardwood flooring in the kitchen, 10-12 foot ceilings, garden tubs, and brushed nickel hardware. The community has onsite FXfit trainers with CrossFit, Yoga, and FX Classes, private luxurious courtyards and fountains, and covered parking.
- IMT at the Domain was built in 2012 and is just a quick 9 minute walk away from IBM. With studio, one, and two bedroom apartments ranging in size from 497 to 1230 square feet, features include 4-star Energy rated interiors, oversized windows, and granite countertops. Community amenities include walking distance to the Domain, a saltwater pool with continuous waterfall, outdoor community media deck, outdoor firepits, and an on-site social calendar director.
- Residences at the Domain are a 13 minute walk away via surface streets and feature studio to two bedroom apartments ranging in size from 611 to 1721 square feet. Built in 2007, the complex has package receiving, high-speed internet, covered parking, and short term leases are available. Apartments feature garages, private courtyard spaces, garden tubs, and additional storage.
- Northland at Stonehollow was built in 1995, is 5 minutes by car or 6 minutes by bus from IBM and features 1-3 bedroom apartments from 602 to 1,352 square feet. Units have detached garages, crown molding, ceramic tile entries, oversized tubs, walk in closets and full size washer and dryer connections. The community features an elegant clubhouse, three swimming pools, a theater room, and greenbelt views in some units.
- Lincoln Oaks Apartments, built in 1984, are a 6 minute drive from IBM via surface streets and have 1-2 bedroom units ranging in size from 542 to 979 square feet. The community has neighborhood jogging trails, covered parking, social activities, a fitness center, and a hot tub. Units have a laundry room with full size washer/dryer connections, vaulted ceilings, wood burning fireplaces, designer color schemes, and outside storage.
- Bradford Pointe Apartments are 6 minutes from IBM, were built in 1984, and have one to two bedroom apartments from 481 to 917 square feet. Amenities include limited access gates, a complimentary coffee bar, a gift wrapping station, a DVD Rental Library, a newly constructed playscape and Bradford Pointe was the 2013 Apartment Ratings Top Rated Apartment Complex.
- The Kenzie at the Domain is a brand new community just two minutes by car or 11 minutes on foot from IBM. Studio, two bedroom, and three bedroom apartments are available and range from 516 to 1600 square feet. Apartments feature washer and dryers, undermount farmhouse sinks, decorative glass tile backsplashes, and wood style plank flooring.
These communities are just a few of the rental choices available to IBM employees. Our database features the most accurate and up-to-date pricing and availability for thousands of apartments across the city. We know that finding an apartment that allows for a short commute to work, has the amenities you want, and fits into your budget can be difficult. Our job as apartment locators is to provide valuable insight into each of your rental options so you can choose the best apartment the first time. Our services are free for our clients and can save you valuable time when you are searching for a rental. Call 512-258-8224 today to schedule your appointment or visit www.austinapartmentsnow.com to find out more about our apartment locator services.