Thousands of people move to Austin or relocate within Austin every year because of job changes. In a city growing by 110 people per day, the complaint we hear most often centers around traffic. The majority of the renters we see are hoping to find an apartment that fits their lifestyle and allows for a reasonable commute to their place of work. With that in mind, we wanted to give some insight into Austin’s largest employers and the rental options that surround them. This is the first in a series of articles titled ‘Minimum Commute, Maximum Lifestyle’ and what better place to start than with Austin’s largest private employer, Dell.
Dell is a global computer manufacturer and seller who has been in business since 1984. Dell employs over 100,000 people across the globe and 14,000 people locally. Dell, which had been publicly traded since 1988, went private in October 2013 and declared that they would focus on four key areas of growth: big data services, security, cloud computing and Bring Your Own Device products. According to CRN.com, Dell reports it has increased spending on Research and Development from 1.6 percent of revenue to 2.1 percent since going private.
Dell employs people in a variety of positions, including sales (median annual salary $67,439 for a manager), marketing (median salary $55,168 for a Marketing Specialist), professional services and consulting and corporate functions (median salary $61,379 for a Project Manager I), finance (median salary $160,868 for a Finance Director), IT (median salary $31,302 for a Technical Support Representative 1), engineering (median salary $61,433 for an Electrical Engineer 1), and customer service and support (median salary $30,236 for a Customer Service Representative 1). All salary figures are from Salary.com and are for 78682, Dell's zip code.
There is a large concentration of restaurants in the area that serve lunch to Dell employees. Pita Fusion uses unique sauces, locally made breads, a variety of fresh cut veggies, and high quality meats grilled to order in their sandwiches. Pho Viet is a contemporary, vegetarian-friendly choice for Vietnamese dishes such as noodle soups and vermicelli bowls.
There are also several restaurants and bars near Dell that serve as happy hour destinations for employees. Wine Sensation has a wide variety of wines from across the globe and food like flatbread pizzas served in a relaxed casual atmosphere. Tortuga Flats’ cuisine includes tacos, enchiladas, tortas, and fajitas. They also have a large Tequila list and happy hour specials.
So where should you rent if you work at Dell? You won't have to commute far to your new job at Dell if you choose one of the apartments in the area, of which there are many with lots of amenities. Here are just a few of your rental options:
- The Regency at Dell Ranch Apartments were built in 2001 and are just 4 minutes south of Dell without even getting on the freeway. Regency offers 1-3 bedroom apartments ranging from 688 square feet to 1532 square feet. This gated community offers a 24 hour fitness center, a waterscape pool, spa, and business center.
- Built in 1998 and located just three minutes south of Dell using Dell Way, the Madison at Dell Ranch Apartments have 1-2 bedroom units from 491 square feet to 997 square feet. The amenities for this gated community include wood floors, available covered parking and available wood-burning fireplaces.
- Broadstone Cordevalle is also just three minutes south of Dell and has one and two bedroom apartment homes varying in size from 624 square feet to 1,094 square feet. The amenities at this brand new community include an outdoor summer kitchen with grilling areas, a social lounge with a latte and tea bar, and a social calendar with activities for residents.
- Twelve Oaks Apartments are just two minutes from Dell and can be reached using just surface streets. Twelve Oaks offers one and two-bedroom apartments, ranging in size from 740 square feet to 950 square feet. This pet-friendly community built in 1984 is often flexible on breed restrictions, provides on-site laundry facilities, and extra storage in apartments.
- Located five minutes from Dell, units at Broadstone Travesia range from 627 square feet to 1,365 and from 1-3 bedrooms. Built in 2009, this nearly new community has a dog run, onsite recycling program, and a washer and dryer in every home.
- City North at Sunrise Ranch is just 10 minutes north of Dell off IH-35. Built in 2008, one to three bedroom apartments are available, and range from 786 to 1,336 square feet. Amenities include a billiard room and recreation area, vaulted ceilings and personal balconies and patios in some units.
- Crest Round Rock Apartments are seven minutes from Dell. They have 1-3 bedroom units available, from 632 square feet to 1,237 square feet. Built in 2008, amenities include walking trails around the the properties, intrusion alarms, and granite countertops in kitchens and bathrooms.
- La Frontera Square Apartments are 4 minutes from Dell off IH 35. Built in 2008, La Frontera’s one and two bedroom units range from 417 square feet to 1,322 square feet and amenities include a parking garage, 10 foot ceilings with exposed duct work, and stained concrete floors in kitchens and living rooms.
- The Lodge at Warner Ranch Apartments are just four minutes from Dell. Built in 2000, their one to three bedroom apartment homes range in size from 648 square feet to 1,464 square feet. Amenities include large closets, available garages, and available tile floors.
- Lone Oak is a brand-new gated apartment community located about ten minutes north on IH-35 from Dell. Floorplans range in size from 768 square feet to 1,594 square feet for 1-3 bedroom units and amenities include an enclosed pet park and garden tubs and crown molding in apartments.
- Orchard Apartments are six minutes from Dell and you don't even need to get on the highway. Apartments range in size from 640 square feet in a one bedroom to 1,232 square feet in a 3 bedroom. Built in 1997, The Orchard has outdoor basketball, tennis, and sand volleyball courts, a car care center, and an outdoor playscape with swings.
- Built in 2008, the Palm Valley Apartments are 7 minutes from Dell and can be reached just by using local streets. Their 1-3 bedroom apartments range in size from 731 square feet to 1,409 square feet. This gated community's amenities include poolside Wi-Fi, an adjacent nature trail, and walk-in showers with glass enclosures.
These are just a few of the rental options for Dell employees. Our database features the most accurate and up-to-date pricing and availability for thousands of apartments across the city. Finding the perfect balance of minimal commute and maximum lifestyle for your budget can be challenging. As apartment locators, it is our job to provide you valuable insight into each of your rental options so you choose the best apartment the first time. Our service is free to our clients and can save you valuable days looking for a rental. Call 512-339-4411 today to schedule your appointment or visit www.apartmentexperts.com for more information on our apartment locator services.